Angelia Vernon Menchan

Angelia Vernon Menchan is an author, publisher and public speaker who owns two publishing companies, MAMM Productions and Honorable Menchan Media. Mrs. Menchan is also a Budget Officer and former Job Corps Counselor. To date she has published twenty-three books of her own work, both fiction and non-fiction and more than eighty ebook novellas on amazon.com. You can access her bibliography on www.amazon.com search words: Angelia Vernon Menchan




Contact information:
Website: http://acvermen.blogspot.com
Email: acvermen@yahoo.com
Phone numbers: 904 714 2272 904 303 2679

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Delayed Gratification

Delayed Gratification…waiting until your work is done before playing…
That’s one definition…there are others…such as waiting until you can pay your own cell phone bill before you get one…
I was looking around the other day…
And every child I knew had a cell phone…
I was amazed…
I remember when my son got one at sixteen…
I was pretty opposed…
But his dad said, “He is a good kid, with great grades and most importantly he earns enough to pay his own bill.”
At that point I was in…
However what I see are kids with a thousand minutes…
With parents and grandparents paying upwards of ninety bucks a month…
For eleven year olds, who in some cases are barely passing their classes…
What is up with that?
And before anyone says it is to keep up with where kids are…
I want you to know I never lost my children, not once…
And they were sans cell phones…
The same hold true for adults who own fifty thousand dollar cars…
And no homes…or worse yet are thirty and living with their mamas…
What happened to working hard, saving your ducats…
Then purchasing the things you want and can afford…
That you will get to keep with no chance of repossession…
Or cutoff…
I guess it went the way of delayed gratification…
Why wait, save and buy…
When we can wrap ourselves in debt…
Pretending like we are rich…when we ain’t…
When we don’t have a pot or a window…
So all I am saying is a lot of things are better…and more appreciated…
When we wait for them…
Are prepared for them…
When we get to enjoy them…
Without staying awake at night wondering…
How we are going to pay for them…
Just call me ‘Old School’…

Love and Blessings
Angelia
acVernon Menchan

6 comments:

Gwyneth Bolton said...

How about I just call you right? Because you are telling the truth and shaming the devil today. I know a lot of people might find it a little too hot in the kitchen with this one, sis. Spending before we get it... Living above our means... That's a problem that many in our community have... Go head and speak on it, sis! Speak!

Great post!

Gwyneth

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

I can't control it Gwyneth, the truth must set us free...

Love and Blessings...

angelia

Yasmin said...

I'm going through an instant gratification period right now. ;)
But I'm not robbing Peter to pay Paul...just putting me first.

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

Yas...
Putting you first is always a good thing, and that is actually delayed gratification at it's finest...

Love and Blessings...
angelia

Jennifer C. said...

I fit in here in different ways. My 10yo wants a cellphone we have told her hell no...but my father-in-law said yes when she is 13. He will pay that bill not us. Then my husband is a man that likes to get whatever he wants when he wants it...even if he is broke. Then there is me always waiting until a better time comes along and still haven't full filled any of my dreams yet. How delayed will it be? Oh well it is just not time yet. I will keep waiting.

Great words of wisdom!

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

It is more like that than not...

Love You!

angelia