Angelia Vernon Menchan

Angelia Vernon Menchan is an author, publisher and public speaker who owns two publishing companies, MAMM Productions and Honorable Menchan Media. Mrs. Menchan is also a Budget Officer and former Job Corps Counselor. To date she has published twenty-three books of her own work, both fiction and non-fiction and more than eighty ebook novellas on amazon.com. You can access her bibliography on www.amazon.com search words: Angelia Vernon Menchan




Contact information:
Website: http://acvermen.blogspot.com
Email: acvermen@yahoo.com
Phone numbers: 904 714 2272 904 303 2679

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Too Old For What?

The books I write encompass a range of ages, there are always young people and elders,
However my most got it going on characters, particularly women, are older than forty, everytime,
Because what I know for sure is that if you have lived right, taken care of yourself, saved up a few ducats and have the love of a good man, those are the best years of your life,
I have had people who tried to discourage me from writing about women of a certain age,
My thirty-something niece was horrifed when in my first book my characters aged from teens to late forties, because the sweet, young thang didn't even know...
I love her madly so I had to straighten her out...
Later on an editor was working on my second book and she tried to convince me to make my characters younger, because she just KNEW, there was no way that middle aged people could be that darn sexy,
No way, no how,
I had to tell her that if she felt that way, then she was way too old herself, though she was young,
One of the sweetest things a reader said to me about that particular book, Cinnamon's Universe,
Was,
"I love the way you are repping for those of us who are older, but still got it going on!"
That's my job...
My goal is to write about fully rounded, flawed, magnificent, got it going on women, for all of my days,
Because you know what the world is filled with them,
We Live,
We Love,
We Rule!
And as my mama, Ora Lee always told us,
"Don't nothing get old but your shoes and if you work everyday, you can always get new shoes.!"
We ain't too old for nuttin'

Love and Blessings,
angelia

www.angeliavmenchan.com

13 comments:

Poetic Genesis said...

Say that then! As an very early 30's lady, I KNOW the best is yet to come. I can feel it and I can definitely wait for it because it's worthy of the wait.

Loveu

Genesis

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

I just had to say that, because what they don't know, they won't know, unless someone who does know, tells them so!

Giggling,
angelia

Jennifer C. said...

Isn't it said that wine is best when it's aged?

Well why can't it be the same for humans? Honey we are fine in our prime. I'm not there yet but I know when I'm 40 and above life is going to be especially sweet.

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

See Jen,
you are wise to listen to us...it is all good from there...

smooches,
mama deep

Gwyneth Bolton said...

And as my mama, Ora Lee always told us,
"Don't nothing get old but your shoes and if you work everyday, you can always get new shoes.!"


I love it! Great post, sis. The age thing kills me because we are all going to age if we're lucky and live long. So, we had better hope, pray and believe that it only get better with time! ;-)

Gwyneth

Yasmin said...

Amen to Mama Ora Lee!
xoxo

A.R. Grosjean said...

I like your story and you have a point there. There are a lot of older couples out there who still have it on. I've seen many of them over the years. Some really show their age but yet they are "young at heart" and still show their love for each other in many ways.

It makes you think to yourself, boy I hope I'm still that active when I get that age lol. I am very impressed with these people and really do hope I can still be as active as they are! God bless them all!

Amber
http://www.argrosjean.com

Dera Williams said...

Ands you know this is right!

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

Thanks Gwyneth, Yas, Amber and Dera,

The truth must be told!

Blessings,
angelia

Sybil Barkley-Staples said...

Great article. The older women in my family are quite sexy at 50 all the way to my 83 yr old grandmother. I'm approaching 40 and I can't wait to see how fly I'll be. LOL

Peace,
Sybil

Author, Candy for My Soul, available on amazon.com

www.geocities,com/sb_staples

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

Thanks Sybil,
We must be family, I know the same women!

Blessings,
angelia

Carole McDonnell said...

::big grin::

True. They don't know how sexy we forty-somethings are. Actually, they don't know much about normal sexiness and normal sexuality because they allow TV and hollywood to train their way of seeing. I have a poet friend who wrote a show for off-broadway about a love story between a heavy-set black woman and a thinnish Irish guy in Ireland. The reporter who reviewed the play said it was a good enough play but the premise was so unbelievable. Which annoyed the rest of us because we knew the love story was based on events that were real. But people have their ideas about other folks. It's up to us to widen their horizons. Heck I once had an editor tell me that my black people weren't behaving the way black people should. So the braver we are about sticking to our guns, the more we enlighten folks. great post. -C

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

Thanks Carole,
It is amazing how little people know about love or Black folks...I suppose it is up to us to try to educate, but it is often a daunting task!

Blessings,
angelia