Angelia Vernon Menchan

Angelia Vernon Menchan is an author, publisher and public speaker who owns two publishing companies, MAMM Productions and Honorable Menchan Media. Mrs. Menchan is also a Budget Officer and former Job Corps Counselor. To date she has published twenty-three books of her own work, both fiction and non-fiction and more than eighty ebook novellas on amazon.com. You can access her bibliography on www.amazon.com search words: Angelia Vernon Menchan




Contact information:
Website: http://acvermen.blogspot.com
Email: acvermen@yahoo.com
Phone numbers: 904 714 2272 904 303 2679

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Love Thyself...

It sounds so cliché when you hear ‘You can’t love anyone else if you don’t love yourself’…
I am going to go out on a limb and say…
It is truth…
I will even go on to say, ‘You can’t expect love if you don’t love yourself’…
I am always getting asked by women, ‘How do you do it?’
‘Your man loves you, your kids love you, your elders love you….what is the trick?
I simply tell folks there is no magic formula and certainly no tricks…if I could sell it I surely would…
But what has helped me is a healthy dose of self-love,
I knew early on that I loved me…
I have never looked for a man to fix me…
Thank you very much but God fixed me at birth…
The same holds true for my children…
I bore them, loved them, raised and disciplined them, most importantly I let them go…
When they were old enough to go…
It is totally unnecessary for them to hang around so…
I can define myself by how close my kids are to me…
Proving they love me by how needy they are…no thank you very much…
With my friendships…
I only deal with those where I can be a friend and
Have a friend…
If you give me the impression you don’t want to be bothered…
I count it all joy and leave you alone…
To me self-love means the ability to be alone…
And not lonely…
To revel in the time when it is just you…with you…
However, knowing that your loved ones are only a breath away…
And will be there when needed or wanted…
With the knowledge that you will respond in kind…
I think of last weekend my man and I were on a trip…
He was watching a tennis match on the hotel television…
I was curled up with a good book, ‘She Gone by Kwame Dawes’ wonderful book...
For hours we didn’t utter a word…periodically we would glance at the other smiling…
Finally he said, ‘Are you hungry’…smiling I nodded yes closing my book…
Much later we went out to get a meal…
Love and Blessings…
angelia

5 comments:

Yasmin said...

Finally he said, ‘Are you hungry’…smiling I nodded yes closing my book…
Much later we went out to get a meal…


LOL...YGG...I ain't madatcha!
xoxo

Gwyneth Bolton said...

"To me self-love means the ability to be alone…
And not lonely…"

Amen to that! I know so many people who would be okay if they could just grasp this concept.

On point as usual, sis.

Gwyneth

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

Lady Yasmin...
yes indeed...

Love and Blessings...
angelia

Hey Gwyneth...
we have to know how to be still with ourselves...
smooches...
angelia

Shai said...

I agree with Gwyneth.


Angelia, how is Kwame's book?

Anonymous said...

I love this, Gwyneth. It took me several years (many) to learn to be happy alone. I'm trying now to help my sister accomplish this--enjoy solitude without feeling alone. Her husband of 35 years died last year and she is struggling with loneness. I am her opposite, have been alone for 35 years. Funny how families are different, yet the same.